Boy, 14, and woman, 34, die after house fire that tragically killed boy, 5

A teenage boy and a woman have died days after a fire ravaged their south London flat which investigators believe was started deliberately.

The blaze, in Russett Way, Lewisham, on Saturday morning had already killed a five-year-old boy, with all three from the same family.

Tributes have been placed at the scene.

The 14-year-old died boy yesterday, while the woman, 34, passed away today, both having sustained serious injuries, the Metropolitan Police said.

Their relatives have been informed and are being supported by specialist officers.

A post-mortem examination on the five-year-old gave his cause of death as inhalation of fire fumes.

Detectives believe the fire was started deliberately but are not looking for anybody else in relation to the investigation.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus were able to pull all three occupants from the blaze in the top floor split-level maisonette and they were taken to hospital via ambulance.

The youngest child died around 8am on Saturday.

Six fire engines and 40 firefighters were deployed to the block during the incident.

London Fire Brigade was called at 5.44am and the fire was under control within an hour later.

Fire crews from Greenwich, Lewisham, Deptford, New Cross, Lee Green and East Greenwich were all at the scene.

London Fire Brigade tweeted at the time: “A child has sadly died following a flat fire in #Greenwich. A woman & a further child have been taken to hospital. Our thoughts are with all those affected.”

In a statement, LFB said: “Six fire engines and around 40 firefighters were called to a fire at a block of maisonettes on Russett Way in Greenwich.

“Part of the top floor of a split-level maisonette was damaged by the fire. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus rescued a woman and two children from the top the floor of the property.

“They have all been taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews, where sadly one of the children passed away.

“The Brigade was called at 0544 and the fire was under control by 0649.

“Fire crews from Greenwich, Lewisham, Deptford, New Cross, Lee Green and East Greenwich were at the scene.

“The cause of the fire is under investigate by the Brigade and the Metropolitan Police Service.”